Winter is coming. If you’re worried that your heating system might not be up to the task of keeping you warm and toasty this winter, you’re not alone. Many of us have that nagging concern as the temperature starts to drop. But fear not! We’re going to dive into how to check your heating system, making sure it’s in tip-top shape, and offer some tips for knowing when to call in for heating maintenance and repairs from an expert.
Give Your Heating System a Once-Over
A visual inspection can tell you a lot about your heating system’s health. Look out for these red flags:
Poor Insulation: If your heating system is struggling, you might notice certain rooms are colder than others. That is a sign of poor insulation or blocked ductwork.
Leaks: Unusual noises or moisture near joints and pipes can indicate leaks. This can damage your system and hike up your utility bills.
Heating System Fires: Though rare, faulty heating systems can create a fire hazard. If you catch whiffs of something unusual or hear strange sounds during heating, it’s time to call in the pros for immediate heating system repairs.
Heating System Failure: As systems age, they become less efficient and prone to breakdowns. In extreme cases, they might just give up altogether. Get them checked out by a professional.
Check That Filter!
Your furnace’s air filter removes particles and pollutants from the air before it’s heated. Open the furnace’s service door and inspect the air filter. If it’s caked in dirt and dust, it’s time for a clean. If there are cracks, replace the filter to keep your air quality safe and breathable.
Gas Lines and Safety First
Make sure all gas lines are clear and shut-off valves are closed if necessary. Gas mishandling can lead to fires and blocked lines, which could shut down your heating system. If you smell gas or suspect a leak, call a professional immediately.
Don’t Forget Your Thermostat
- Your thermostat should be your best friend during chilly times. Check it regularly to make sure it’s doing its job. If you feel it may need to be adjusted, a professional HVAC technician will calibrate it during a routine heating maintenance check.
- Ensure there’s power to your furnace and water pipes. Tripped breakers or switches could be the culprit.
- If you’re struggling with temperature adjustments, check the thermocouples inside your furnace. If they look corroded or damaged, they might need replacing.
- Make sure all HVAC unit cables are securely plugged in. Loose wires can cause trouble.
- Regularly clean the air filter on your furnace to keep dust and allergens at bay.
When in Doubt, Call the Pros
If your heating system is acting up, don’t hesitate to contact Essig for HVAC repair services. Our experts can quickly diagnose and fix issues before they get worse. Waiting too long can lead to more expensive repairs, so play it safe.
Essig Heating & Cooling provides reliable heating system repairs and maintenance. We’re known for our stellar service and we offer a range of convenient payment options.
In a Nutshell
Your heating system does more than keep you warm; it keeps your air clean and safe too. So if you suspect something’s off, give us a call today! Stay warm and worry-free this winter!